The Cirilo McSween (New York Life) Scholarship is awarded to students who are majoring in business, achieve academic success, and play an active role in their communities. Scholarships are given in honor of New York Life's first African American agent, Cirilo A. McSween, who became an agent in 1957. Mr. McSween, who passed away in 2008, was a member of Rainbow PUSH Coalition's board of directors, a renowned civil rights activist who work closely with Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and noted businessperson. The Cirilo McSween (New York Life) Scholarship is a $2,500.00, award and may be renewed for a total of 4 years. The award will be paid directly to the college or university the student will be attending.
COMPLETED APPLICATION with all documentation must be submitted to PUSH Excel Office, 930 E. 50th Street Chicago, Illinois 60615, on or by 5PM, May 30, 2015.
Eligibility and Requirements
· Must be a U.S. citizen.
· Must be a senior attending high school and must graduate in spring or summer of 2015. Student must be accepted to an accredited four-year degree program at a college or university in the U.S. for the academic year commencing in the year the scholarship is granted.· Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of a 3.0.
· Must demonstrate academic preparation to attend college and succeed.· Must demonstrate the ability to overcome obstacles to achieve academic and personal goals.
· A completed and submitted application due by May 30, 2015.· Official transcript sent to PUSH by the college (this applies to new and to renewed scholarships).· Two letters of recommendations (cannot include a family member).
· Proof of current enrollment or acceptance to accredited college/university in the United States (course schedule/admission letter, if applicable).
· Evidence of service learning throughout the student's high school career (Must indicate any school-based extracurricular involvement and/or community-service involvement).
· Must submit minimum 500-word essay.· The required essay must address the following prompt: "Identify five (5) perquisites for success and explain in detail your personal philosophy for the pursuit of excellence." Explain the obstacles or hardships you had to overcome on your journey to achieve academic success. Finally, explain how you will use your college education to achieve your personal goals and pursue excellence.
· The Cirilo McSween (New York Life) Scholarship is renewable up to 4 years as long as the student maintains a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
Additional information available at www.PUSHExcel.org